‘Move fast and break things’ may be the motto of Silicon Valley startups, but we all know IT doesn’t have to be that way.
As a member of ACS, you have the opportunity to join committees that aim to drive change in a careful and deliberative manner, influencing government policy and affecting the future of IT not just in Australia – but all over the world.
A position is currently available as a representative on the International Federation for Information Processing’s (IFIP) technical committee for information systems.
And there are numerous spots open to represent ACS with Standards Australia – the peak non-government body for standards development in Australia.
These are chances to share your knowledge and create a better future in fields like:
- The internet of things (IT-042)
- Sustainable communities (IT-268)
- IT governance (IT-030)
- Personal identification security devices. (IT-017)
Terms for these committees will run until 31 December 2021.
ACS is also looking for representatives on committees that create the society’s public positions on important contemporary issues.
These positions then help inform government and industry form policies.
ACS is seeking expressions of interest for Technical Advisory Committees in the following areas:
- Artificial Intelligence Ethics
- Data Sharing
- Internet of Things
Terms for these committees will run until 31 December 2022.
You can also apply to join ACS Digital Enablement Standing Committee (DESC) which advises the ACS management committee on the society’s IT strategy.
Nominees for this committee must be from ACS members who are members of Congress, members of a Branch Executive Committee or a member of the ACS Professional Division.
If you have any questions regarding the DESC role, please contact Mai Tran at Mai.Tran@acs.org.au.
Successful applicants for all committees must be ACS members and meet the following selection criteria:
- Expertise: Is actively engaged in the profession and/or professional practice of ICT and has relevant qualifications and/or prior learning
- Networks and Spheres of Influence: Has relevant industry connections
- Accountable: Can deliver committee objectives & measures and can provide written reports detailing key outcomes
- Commitment and Passion: Can dedicate the time for meetings and thinking, has a passion for the ICT industry and is aligned to ACS’ Vision and Strategy, is prepared to join the ACS if not already a member and has no conflicts of interest
- Leadership Capabilities: Is resilient, flexible, a strong communicator both written and verbal, is a strategic thinker and is influential.
To apply for a position, send your expression of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- The name of the role you're applying for
- Up to 500 words addressing the selection criteria, the contribution you can make, and why you’re interested
- An up-to-date CV covering previous experience
- A completed and signed conflicts of interest declaration form
- A completed and signed confidentiality agreement form
Expressions of interest must be received by the close of business on Friday 21 August 2020.